Owners of the Nook Color will be glad to know that they haven’t been forgotten by the Android development community, even though there’s been no word from Barnes and Noble about an official Ice Cream Sandwich update for the 2010 e-reader-turned-Android-tablet. Many of you may already know how popular the Nook Color has been since its release due to the ease of transforming the device from its boring “originally intended” user experience.
Well, thanks to XDA Recognized Developers dalingrin and fattire, you can throw the idea of originally intended use out the window once again, and spiff up your Nook Color with a beta-style Ice Cream Sandwich ROM. The build is still in its early stages, but it looks like progress is coming along at pretty nice pace. Already working are:
* bluetooth (pairing/file transfer only confirmed)
* wifi (full it seems but it’s brand-new to the kernel so who knows how stable anything is)
* improved stability (but not perfect)
* real data usage info (not stubbed out)
* battery levels/charging
* physical menu button
* 3d games
* usb gadget in kernel (adb debugging shows up) *with experimental kernel*
You already know the drill. Make a backup and head over to the ROM thread for the full scoop. Make sure to let us know how much you’re loving ICS on your Nook Color in the comment thread below.